Here are some of Dr. Ben Fung's recent experiences, achievements, and awards:
• Doctorate Honors Graduate 2009, Alpha Chi Honors Society: Top 3 Rank in Graduating Class; Top 99.95% of National Academics
• Sharp's Got Talent Champion, 2010
• Sharp Memorial Hospital's "Mr. Heart Walk", 2010
• VIP Walker, American Heart Association - San Diego Heart Walk 2010/2011
• Best in San Diego 2011 Finalist – Best Alternative Exercise Studio, Kettlebell and Physiokinetic Fitness at Sharp Cushman Wellness Center
• Sharp C.O.R.E. Award (Center of Recognized Excellence) 2011 - Quality: Team Pillar, Stroke Team – Physical Therapy Representative
• Guardian Angel Award, 2012: Service recognition through patient/family donation to the Sharp Healthcare Foundation
• Sharp C.O.R.E. Award (Center of Recognized Excellence) 2012 - People Pillar, Department Category, 6W & Physical Therapy – For creating a standard interdisciplinary communication protocol to decrease patient falls, optimize patient mobility, minimize staff injury, and maximize staff satisfaction.
• September 2012 – Finalist for Best Health-Fitness Studio in San Diego, 2012. “Kettlebell & Physiokinetic Fitness” via Sharp Healthcare and the Cushman Wellness Center.
• January 2013 – Most Influential Social Media user for the American Physical Therapy Association, Combined Sections Meeting 2013, San Diego – Therapydia.
• February 2013 – Finalist for Best Use of Social Media, Therapydia PT Blog Awards, 2013.
Additional Professional Experiences, Presentations, and Achievements:
• Cushman Wellness Center: Integrative Medicine Guest Lecturer - Kettlebell Exercise, Summer 2010
• Founder & Chief Instructor of Kettlebell & Physiokinetic Fitness in collaboration with the Cushman Wellness Center, Sharp Memorial Hospital Outpatient Pavilion, 8/2010 - Present
• 2010 American College of Sports Medicine, Conference Presenter
• 2010 National Sharp Speaking of Women’s Health Breakout Speaker, Kettlebell Exercise – Melting Fat with Muscle in 15 minutes
• 2010 National Sharp Speaking of Women’s Health Exhibitor, Musculoskeletal Functional Screen
• 2010 National Sharp Speaking of Women’s Health, Luncheon Special Music
• Sharp Memorial Hospital, Spine Center of Excellence: Development and implementation of Spine Pre-Operative Conditioning (SPOC), a pre-operative education and training program for patients in preparation for upcoming surgeries
• Spine Unit Staff Training: “Post Operative Spine Mobility Considerations”, more than 50 nursing staff and students were trained on mobilizing patients to decrease length of stay, optimizing patient recovery, and decreasing staff/patient injury
• 2010 Sharp Experience All-Staff Assembly, Special Presenter – The All-Staff Assembly is a system wide rally attended by 15000 employees over 3 sessions
• 2010 Sharp Experience All-Staff Assembly: Mini-Documentary, Featured Employee – “Making the Human Connection” & “The ‘Why’ Behind Healthcare”
• 2010 Sharp’s Got Talent Champion: A system wide talent show for over 15000 employees in an effort to raise money for the San Diego Heart Walk to contribute donations to the American Heart Association
• 2010 Crowned “Mr. Sharp Memorial Hospital Heart Walk”: For raising the most funds among the Sharp Memorial Hospital employees
• 2010/2011 Sharp Healthcare Human Resource Campaign Feature Employee
• 2010/2011 Sharp Healthcare Television Commercial, Cast Member
• 2010/2011 Sharp Healthcare Media Print Focus for Physical Therapy Media Outlets (CPTA Magazine, Today in PT)
• Late 2010 through present – Acute Physical Therapy Unit Specific Mobility (USM) Team, Founding Member. The USM Team has specific responsibilities in addressing and training nursing staff in their unit specific needs to decrease patient falls and optimize patient recovery
• 2010 through present – Sharp Memorial New Employee Welcome (NEW): A special site specific employee orientation, welcoming, and cultural introduction to the hospital’s culture of quality care, healing environment, and attitude of service
• Winter 2011 – Victories of Spirit Celebration, Thematic Committee
• April 2011 – Sharp Foundation, Gala Event for Outpatient Remodeling at Sharp Rehabilitation, Special Music & Rehabilitation Representative
• July 2011 – Sharp Best Health Committee, Resource & Consultant
• July 2011 – Clinical Instructor for Doctoral Student Physical Therapist, Loma Linda University, 3 Week Practicum.
• July 2011 – Physical Therapist/Physical Therapist Assistant, Taskforce for Acute Physical Therapy Practice
• July 2011 – Founded Kettlebell Therapy website for promotion of fitness, health and wellness through use of kettlebells.
• August 2011 – Sharp Best Health, Program Leader, San Diego Heart Walk Kick-Off Training Sessions
• September 2011 – San Diego Heart Walk, Sharp Healthcare
• September 2011 – Sharp Healthcare Poster Advertisement, Chapter of California Physical Therapy Association, Annual Conference – Long Beach, CA
• October 2011 – Safe Patient Mobilization, Interdisciplinary Communication Sub-Group Leader, responsible for organizing, integrating, and developing a recommendation for interdisciplinary communication and documentation of patient mobility status
• October 2011 – Physical Therapy Web Space publication: “Kettlebell Therapy: Restoring Movement with Natural Physics”
• October 2011 – Sharp Metropolitan Medical Campus, Best Health presentation of physical health promotion programs to over 100 managers, directors, and executives
• October – November, 2011 – Sharp Best Health, Physical Health Promotion Team; Get Fit with Band and Preventive Office Stretches
• November 2011 – Re-publication: “Kettlebell Therapy: Restoring Movement with Natural Physics”
• November 2011 – National Speaking of Women’s Health Conference Breakout Speaker – Kettlebell Exercise, “Melting Fat in 15 minutes”
• November 2011 – National Speaking of Women’s Health Conference; Health Screening Exhibitor – “Physio Health & Fitness Screen”, un-official "Ask the Physical Therapist"
• December 2011 – Team Leader, Trainer, Safe Patient Mobilization (SPM) special interdisciplinary team taskforce, development & training for pilot program - mobility subgroup.
• December 2011 – Sharp Memorial Christmas & Holiday Party Special Music, Christmas Music, Pianist
• January 2012 – Sharp Memorial Hospital, Computer Documentation Super User, Trainer, Departmental Resource
• February 2012 – Cushman Wellness Center, Integrative Medicine Council, Guest Lecturer. Spinal Tension Release Therapy: A Physiotherapy Wellness Approach to Spine Health.
• March 2012 – Physical Therapy Web Space publication: “Swinging Away Back Pain”
• March 2012 – Cyber PT Newsletter publication: “Kettlebell Therapy™: Restoring Movement with Natural Physics”
• April 2012 – Cyber PT Newsletter publication: “Swinging Away Back Pain”
• April 2012 – Kettlebells USA™ publication: “Kettlebell Therapy™: Restoring Movement with Natural Physics”
• April 2012 – Kettlebells USA™ publication: “Swinging Away Back Pain”
• April 24, 2012 - KUSI News TV interview regarding Kettlebell Exercise. http://www.kusi.com/video?clipId=7029458&autostart=true
• April 2012 – Kettlebell Inc. publication: "Kettlebell Therapy: Restoring Movement with Natural Physics"
• April 2012 – Kettlebell Inc. publication: "Swinging Away Back Pain"
• April 24, 2012 – KUSI News, Morning Show interview: Kettlebell exercise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Lb28c_k7Y
• May, 2012 – Sharp.com, Home page featured employee.
• May, 2012 – Serving as mentor to newly graduated, Doctor of Physical Therapy, Physical Therapist License Applicant.
• June 23, 2012 – San Diego, Mission Valley YMCA Health Fair – Spine Screening Exhibitor, Sharp Healthcare representative.
• August September 2012 – Sharp Best Health, Heart Walk Training Session, Program Leader
• August – October 2012 – Clinical Instructor for Doctoral Student Physical Therapist, Azusa Pacific University, 8 Week Internship.
• San Diego Heart Walk, 2012, Pre-Walk Warm Up, Program Leader
• October 6th, 2012 – Speaking of Women’s Health, Breakout Speaker; Be the “Bell” of the Ball: Kettlbell and Core Conditioning
• October 6th, 2012 – Speaking of Women’s Health, Exhibitor, Health Assessment; Physical Health and Fitness Assessment – movement, fitness, and strength screening for physical and functional wellness.
• November 1st, 2012 – Sharp Hospice, Volunteer Dinner Event; Special Music presentation. Lounge Piano/Keyboard.
• December, 2012 – Sharp Metropolitan Medical Campus, Christmas & Holiday Party, Special Musical – Piano and Vocals
• March 14th, 2013 – Therapydia Physical Therapy Television (PT TV); Episode 12, Acute Care, Promoting Best Practice, Panel Member
• April 2013 – MARCH / APRIL 2013 | ISSUE 27, TSAC REPORT, NSCA, "KETTLEBELL TRAINING: WHAT DOES THE SCIENCE SAY?"
Dr. Fung cited as conducting "one of the first studies to critically examine the training effects of kettlebells."
• April 16th, 2013 – Interview source for “Kettlebells For Men” at HealthLine.com